I love getting new gadgets as gifts, and thus was excited to play with the new Elgato Key Light Mini I received yesterday. The improvement in quality for my webcam was dramatic.
Logitech C920 picture of me with an inexpensive Tautronics desk lamp I have been using for a few years:
New Elgato Key Light Mini:
This is using the brightness at only 10% (!) and a yellow color temperature.
What I Like
- Connects to WiFi for control via Stream Deck.
- Lots of customizations for brightness and color temperature.
- Built-in battery for portable use.
- Diffuser makes having the light in the face less fatiguing.
What Could Be Improved
- No included monitor mount. I used a command strip on top of my Logitech C920.
- WiFi setup with AirPort Utility on MacOS was a bit glitchy and took a few tries.
Light Makes a Difference
Even if the room you are in has lighting above you, getting light on your face makes a big difference in camera quality. Buying something like the Key Light Mini can be a huge improvement over trying to buy a new webcam.