One of the best ways to become more efficient at using your computer and more effective as a coder is to master the command line. While using the included tools on MacOS is great, I now have a pile of favorite extra tools I have installed on my machine. Some highlights:
- Homebrew for managing app installations.
- fish shell has a learning curve but provides lots of convenience features and is much easier to customize than the default zsh shell.
- yq for quickly filtering YAML and JSON files.
- ripgrep for quickly searching for files across many directories.
- tealdeer for getting concise man pages that give useful examples.
- youtube-dl for downloading video or audio from YouTube.
- 7-Zip for a higher compression than ZIP open source compression tool.